We are moving to our new house in a few weeks, so this particular Sunday morning I had committed to getting started with some packing. I was halfway through the first box when I had a strong impulse to go and wash my new car so – box abandoned with slight feelings of guilt – outside I went with my favourite car washing cloths.
I looked at my new car (I’d only had it for just over a week) with adoration for I was really enjoying driving it, and it’s a beautiful looking vehicle. I took a moment to appreciate how effortlessly the car had come to me. I hadn’t set out with any particular picture of what car I wanted (although I felt I’d go with an SUV again), but it had to be diesel, within my budget and purchased through our trusted dealer. The day we looked there were only two vehicles that fitted the bill – one a sedan the other an SUV – and the sedan was definitely the stand out vehicle.
It’s definitely not the car I would have gone out looking for, but as I washed it that day I came to realise how this car is actually a perfect reflection of where I’ve come to in my life; a place where I feel beautiful, powerful and at ease with myself and life.
How did I come to all of this simply through washing my car?
I brought all of my attention to the task at hand and could feel the quality in which I was wiping and cleaning, gently and with love. I felt myself appreciate the way I clean the car and the choice I’ve made to use a car cleaning mitt and drying cloth, which makes it so easy. No more wrestling with the hose and ending up wet and definitely no more strain on the body. As I let myself simply be with my body and moved around the car, here is what I felt:
- The sleek and sporty lines and curves reflect my body with its slim and sexy curves, which I love, and how I feel as a woman – confident, sassy and beautiful.
- The twin exhausts reflect the vitality I now live with, my natural power and my commitment to life.
- The metallic gold/pewter paint that sparkles in the sun reflects the ever-present sparkle and shine in my eyes.
- The pushbutton electronic ignition and locks reflect the effortlessness in my life these days as I embrace living my connection with God and the natural rhythm of the Universe.
- The leather interior reflects the quality I live and deserve in life, and so is a reflection of my worth.
With each reflection from the car, I allowed myself a moment to appreciate those qualities in myself and in this, I felt a deepening connection to who I truly am and how I care for and love myself. For me the foundation of self-care is love, more specifically self-love, and a connection to the wisdom of my body, which always knows what is needed to support it.
That morning I could have chosen to over-ride what my body communicated to me and kept packing, but in listening to the impulse I had to wash the car, initiating an ever deepening cycle of appreciation, self-love and self-care. I would add that I also felt a deeper commitment to myself and to caring for the amazing woman that I am. This experience has shown me that we are offered the opportunity to self-care in EVERY moment by simply choosing to listen to our body and honour the precious, tender and amazing vehicle it is.
By Michelle Sheldrake, Brisbane